The Sibyls Oraculum: Oracle of the Black Doves of Africa
Cards – May 15, 2018
• Includes 44 full-color cards in Latin and English with a comprehensive guidebook
• Details how to consult the oracle, providing in-depth write-ups about the meaning of each card and the symbolic language represented by their imagery
• Designed to directly address the spiritual lessons underlying the seeker’s query and facilitate self-examination and decision-making
• The cards feature full-color paintings in the style of the Libyan mosaics popular with the Roman elite in the 1st century B.C.E.
The Oracle of the Black Doves is a system of divination inspired by the Libyan Sibyls, the African prophetesses of the classical world. According to the Greek Historian Herodotus, two black doves flew away from the city of Waset (Thebes) and established the Siwa Oasis oracle in Libya and the first oracle in Greece at Dodona. These powerful Sibyls were consulted by all levels of Greek and, later, Roman society.
Created by tarot reader Tayannah Lee McQuillar, this contemporary oracle pays homage to the oft forgotten African founding mothers of the sibylline traditions. Drawing on both the African and the Classical traditions, it features full-color paintings by artist Katelan V. Foisy, who created the card art in a style reminiscent of the Libyan mosaics popular in the 1st century B.C.E. In the accompanying guidebook, McQuillar details how to consult the oracle, providing in-depth write-ups about the meaning of each of the 44 cards and the symbolic language represented by each card’s imagery. She demonstrates how there is only one correct way to phrase a question to the oracle, making it nearly impossible to receive a vague or biased response.
Designed to directly address the spiritual lessons underlying the seeker’s query, the oracle facilitates self-examination and decision-making, helping the seeker improve the likelihood of success in all undertakings and choose their best possible future by broadening their perspective of the situation. The author also includes a history of the Sibyls of the ancient world and explores the continuing Sibyl tradition in North Africa today.
About the Author
Tayannah Lee McQuillar is a tarot reader and researcher of religion, esoterica, and mysticism. The author of several books, including Rootwork, she lives in New York City.
Katelan V. Foisy is an artist, circle leader, and tarot consultant who has been featured in the New York Times and Elle magazine. Her work has appeared in exhibits throughout the United States and UK. She lives in Chicago.
- Cards: 160 pages
- Publisher: Destiny Books; Tcr Crds/P edition (May 15, 2018)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1620556715
- ISBN-13: 9781620556719
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.7 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 15.2 ounces